Consider COBRA and your other health insurance options
Participants who lose eligibility for their current plan coverage may have several alternatives.
$0 cost COBRA available starting April 1, 2021
SAG-AFTRA Health Plan is expanding its subsidized COBRA premiums to provide more Participants high-quality coverage.
+ Contact Via Benefits first
All our plan participants can take advantage of this new partnership!
- Medicare-eligible participants can shop for supplemental Medicare coverage through the Via Benefits Medicare marketplace.
- Participants under age 65 can explore different health insurance options, available through the Via Benefits private insurance marketplace.
- And all participants can connect with a personal Via Benefits advisor to compare the SAG-AFTRA Health Plan benefits to the many options that may be available.
Participants under age 65
Phone: (833) 981-1280
Phone: (833) 963-1230
+ Extended Career COBRA
If you lose your current Plan I or Plan II coverage, you may be eligible for our new benefit: Extended Career COBRA.
- When you qualify for this benefit – and timely elect COBRA – you’ll pay a reduced premium of 20% of the COBRA premium.
- Your next notice of qualification from the plan will tell you if you’re eligible for Extended Career COBRA. Follow the instructions in the notice if you want to enroll.
Note: Retirees receiving a SAG or AFTRA pension, Roster Artists, Station Staff, and employees of SAG-AFTRA, the SAG-AFTRA Foundation, the SAG-Producers Pension Plan and the AFTRA Retirement Fund are not eligible for Extended Career COBRA.
+ Your spouse’s employer-sponsored plan
Losing your SAG-AFTRA Health Plan coverage may trigger a special enrollment period, which allows enrollment in your spouse's or partner’s health plan.
+ Medicare (if you’re eligible)
Don’t put off your Medicare enrollment. Be sure to enroll in Part A and Part B when you’re eligible! And remember that losing your SAG-AFTRA Health Plan coverage triggers a Medicare special enrollment period for you.
+ Medicaid / Medi-Cal / Children’s Health Insurance Program
Your state’s Medicaid program (Medi-Cal in California) and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) provide low-cost health insurance to eligible individuals and families, based on family size and income level. Ask a Via Benefits advisor if your state-provided programs are an option for you.
+ Your state’s health insurance marketplace
You can shop for an individual plan through your state’s health insurance marketplace. Depending on where you live, you may have a wide variety of plans available. Also, based on your household income, you may be eligible for a tax credit that lowers your monthly premiums and cost-sharing. Ask a Via Benefits advisor if your state’s marketplace plans might be right for you.
+ COBRA continuation coverage
If you lose your current plan coverage, you’ll receive an offer to enroll in COBRA.
Participants who are eligible for the Extended Career COBRA benefit can enroll with a reduced premium.
Those not eligible for these new benefits can enroll in COBRA at the full monthly premium cost.
Ask a Via Benefits advisor to help you compare COBRA against your other options.
Need additional help? Several industry resources can provide you with guidance, including personal health insurance counseling and enrollment services.
Artists Health Insurance Resource Center – New York and East / Midwest Regions
- Phone: (917) 281-5975
Entertainment Health Insurance Solutions – Los Angeles and West Regions
- Phone: (833) 777-3447