The SAG-AFTRA Health Plan accepts electronic contributions remittance reports from signatory and payroll companies, provided that information is submitted in XML format. This is a process in which we work one-on-one with the reporting company to set up a secure means for data transmission, test file formatting and ensure correct codes are being used. If your company would like to report earnings files electronically, please contact the Contribution Management department to coordinate the process at firstname.lastname@example.org
The technical specifications for XML contributions reporting. How to validate an XML report before sending it to the Plan. What the XML should look like with our sample.
Important Terms and Fields Found in XML Reports
- Reshoots/Looping/ADR work – Even though this type of work is done after principal photography is completed, these earnings should continue to use the earliest date that principal photography began for the project.
- Episodic TV shows – For each episode, a separate principal photography date should be used and it should be based on the earliest date of principal photography for that particular episode.
- Clip Use – The producer should use the principal photography date for the new project in which the clip is being used.
- Renegotiated Rate for Commercials – The producer should use the renegotiated rate date for performers who have renegotiated reuse fees that exceed the maximum period of use for the particular commercial.
- Voiceover/Animation – The producer should use the recording date. As there may be multiple recording sessions among the performers, this means that there can be multiple Principal Photography Start Dates at multiple rates.
- Station Staff – The producer should use the employee’s work date.
Payroll Date – This is the date the performer was paid. When earnings are paid on multiple days for one particular week, it may be acceptable to designate one date from that week to be used as the payroll date for reporting purposes; however, please contact us to discuss if this is needed.
Social Security Number (SSN) – The performer's SSN is required on all contributions reporting, including deceased performers. Do not replace the performer’s SSN with the beneficiary's SSN or information. If your company has foreign performers who do not have a SSN, please contact us to discuss how to report these earnings.
Performer First Name/Middle Name/Initial/Last Name – Name of performer for whom earnings are being reported. Please separate First Name/Middle Name/Initial/Last Name into each respective field.
Loan Out Company Data – Employer Identification Number (EIN) and name of company information relating to the loan-out company. Loan Out Company Data is supplied in addition to the performer's name if loan out company data is available. Payroll houses and producers cannot send loan out company data in lieu of the performer's name information, since we will need to properly credit a performer for pension and health benefits under their SSN, and not to the loan out company.
Amount Subject to Contributions – This is the earnings amount that is subject to applicable contributions. Please note that these earnings may be subject to ceilings based on the collective bargaining agreement.
Credit Reporting – Credit reporting must use the pay period ending (PPE) date that matches the original reporting. Please refer to the refund and credit policy. If your company has questions, please contact the Plan to discuss how to code this field properly.
FTP Process Document and Info
The Plan has set up a secure file transfer protocol (SFTP) to ensure producers/payroll houses can safely transmit their earnings. The SFTP process is generally one of the last items to be set up in the electronic file. Please contact us at (818) 973-4472 regarding setup, and we will provide an IT specialist to assist you.
Once the SFTP process is set up, a reporting schedule will be arranged. We require that electronic reporting companies send data files on a particular day of the week with contribution checks being sent to us on the same day.